2018 Digital Essay Competition Primary School Winners
The 6th Annual Digital Essay Competition (DEC) for Primary School in mainstream and learners with disabilities Prize Giving Ceremony was held on Wednesday 26th September 2018 from 10am to 1pm during the Nairobi International Book Fair at Sarit Center, Nairobi. In attendance were invited guests, partners and sponsors, publishers, parents, teachers, students, among others.
Invited guest included: Lydia Kyalo from Kenya Institute for the Blind, Eloi Mercamp from the French Embassy in Kenya, Martin Kieti from Perkins School for the Blind, Lydia Chege from Kenya Institute of Special Education, Dorice Kachipela from Education Development Trust among others.
This year we received Over 13,000 essays from students from across the country representing a 146.3% increase from 5,305 submissions in 2017. All Winners and Finalists were awarded with Computer Devices, Scholarship Money, Gift Hampers, Certificates, Public Recognition among other gifts.
This year, students were answering the question: “How can technology bring us closer to quality education for all Or Ni vipi teknolojia inaweza kutufikisha karibu na elimu bora kwa wote OR Comment la technologie peut-elle nous rapprocher d’une éducation de qualité pour tous? – and participating students came from 358 schools in 43 out of Kenya’s 47 counties.
The TOP DEC Students In Primary Level
- Kalimbo Ali Ngome Grand Prize Winner Kiswahili Category from Kalimbo Ali Ngome in Kwale County
- Ajok Morris Onyando Grand Prize Winner Kiswahili Category for learners with disabilities from St. Oda School For The Blind in Siaya County
- Felicia Cheruto Grand Prize Winner English Category from Kipkeino School in Uasin Gishu County
- Efflyne Awuor Grand Prize Winner English Category for learners with disabilities from Ebukuya School For The Hearing Impaired in Vihiga County
- Noel Sakwa Grand Prize Winner French Category from Lukenya Academy in Machakos County
- David Michael Jackson Grand Prize Winner Art Category from Milimani Primary in Nairobi County
- Lukoko Nandwa Grand Prize Winner Art Category for learners with disabilities from Ebukuya School For The Hearing Impaired in Vihiga County
Check out the entire list of Winners and Finalist here
Photos from the event